Tuesday 2 September 2014

Hasbro Transformers Generation: Sandstorm



       Good day folks, today I'll be writing a review on a figure by Hasbro, Transformers generation Sandstorm. I was torn between getting him or generation Springer, but in the end I chooseSandstorm as I feel he is an upgrade version of Springer's mold and he just looks better to me compare to Springer. I probably will get Springer later if I have the extra cash , but if I have to choose between those 2, I would go for Sandstorm.



Here is a picture I got from the net to compare before I decided to go with Sandstorm. Do you agree with me that Sandstorm is the better figure?



       Sandstorm is not one of the most popular character in Transformers G1, but the fact that he is a triple changes makes him quite a cool character. He first appear in Tansformers generation 3 when Cyclonus and Scourge stumble upon Sandstorm's home world Paradron after they went through a vortex. The autobots on Paradron were originally from cycbertron but flee during the great war in search of greener pasture and found the energy rich planet called Paradron. All was well until the decepticons show up and seize control of the planet. Sandstorm  set out to find help from the autobots but sadly his home planet gets blown up in the end.



Here are some G1 pictures of Sandstorm. He does look a little silly with his helicopter rotors hanging from his head, haha. 




       As mention above, Sandstorm is a triple changer and he can transform into a Dune buggy and a helicopter, though in G1 he transforms into a normal looking helicopter, and not with twin rotor blades. I guess you can call it an upgrade.




Well, here he is inside his box. Not the most sturdy packaging, but still looks nice.


Back view of the box showing all his 3 forms with a little bio.



He comes with his blaster and instruction manual.


Here is a closer look at his weapon. There is quite a lot of detailing on his weapon than I've expected.



If can fire out a missile with some simple mechanism (well sot of) , by pushing back the black part of his blaster, not a very good job, but  good effort.



And here is Sandstrom. He looks very good in 1st glance and the thing that really caught my eye is his light-piping. It's just awesome! Very well done to bring out the crystal blue eye of the autobot, really loving this feature. Plastic feel is about average. Paint job is above average and no paint blemishes on mine.


A closer look at his wicked light-piping! 



Without the light-piping, his eyes look very dead...... pretty much similar to the ones MP-10 has. 


Side view looks ok. In the official mode, you are suppose to lift up the orange part on his back which is the tail fins for his helicopter mode, but I prefer it this way.


Back part looks kind of cool, not much to complain there. Initially I thought he will be very heavy over the back, considering his 2 rotor wheels and fins, but it turns out he is quite ok, and he is fairly stable while standing. 


His head is on a ball joint and he can turn a full 360 degrees.
( his eyes looks even  more wicked in blur )


Some head tilting.


Looking down is not an issue.


Here we can see some shoulder abduction and rotation. He has a hinge and ball joint for his shoulders. 


His elbows are on a ratchet joint, but it does not flex into a full 90 degrees. I would say it flex to about 60 degrees.


He does not have individual articulating fingers, but his wrist does have internal rotation and fist has a full 360 degrees rotation.


Hip rotation.


Hip flexion is to about 90 degrees. 

Knee flexion too is about 90 degrees. They are on a ratchet joint.


He does have a full 360 internal thigh rotation.




Foot flexion.


He is quite posable, but some manipulation is needed as he is slightly heavy on his upper body.


Knee flexion and hip extension all the way back. 


Yup and he can do a perfect split. Really sorry I always mention this in my reviews, but I think it is a good way to check a figures' range of movements over his hips. ( and its fun )   :) 

Posing around.........


With some patients and manipulation, you can actually make him to perform the side kick pose!


Here he is in his dune buggy mode. I think he looks very nice in this mode and with the tail fins acting as an extra armor for the side windows. Initially I didn't like his alternate mode because the all didn't peg well together to make him more stable in his dune buggy mode, but later I found out that it was my fault and there are actually pegs all around that pegs into their respective places to make it mode solid in alternate mode.


His back wheels are insanely huge! but I guess I can still accept that as it will help him move about more easily in the sand. 


Back view.


Top view. Does it reminds you of the bat-mobile?


As a summary, I'm quite happy with his dune buggy mode, ad it does looks quite cool.


You can attach his blaster on top of his alternate mode if you like.




Underneath looks ok. everything is thug into place and no overhanging parts.
And yes, the wheels do roll around quite well.


 Here he is in his Hover-car mode?


Next we see him in his helicopter mode / VTOL aircraft mode.
Personally I think the twin rotor makes him look very-very neat! My only complain for this mode is that his shoulder did not peg very well and there is a small opening at both sides of his cockpit. Not sure if I did anything wrong during transformation, but its just a little nitpick, no big deal. Another thing is that I'm having trouble attaching his weapon beneath his cockpit, even after multiple tries. Anyone has this issue with him? or is it just me?  But I do feel that he looks slightly better in his dune buggy mode if we compare both modes.



Top view.


His side view really makes him look like an aircraft rather than a chopper.


Back view.


I remember seeing someone post on the internet regarding the "macross" mode as his 4th mode. I probably should take out his hands too as this is more like a "mech Warrior" look, lol.


The good thing about this figure is that you can create other modes with some imaginations and he is very fun to play with.


Here are some size comparison with MP series.


He is about the same height as Maniaking.


And he is taller than Function-X series.



Here is a picture of G1 sandstorm toy. It is amazing how they can produce a triple changer which is quite accurate in those days.




G1 accuracy: 7/10
Articulation and posability: 7/10
Plastic quality: 6/10
Box quality: 5/10
Helpful instruction manual: 6/10
Collector's card: nil
Paint quality: 8/10
Price: About RM 100-RM120
Size: voyager



Thank you for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment